Address: 143 Forest Lane, Grove City, PA 16127 USA
Phone: 814-786-9085 or 814-786-7429
Open: M-F, 9-5, Eastern Time
Joseph Jenkins has an international reputation in the slate roofing industry, having been involved in the trade since 1968 and personally working on over 1,500 slate roofs, doing repairs, restoration, installations, roof surveys, and evaluations. He authored the award-winning first edition of the Slate Roof Bible in 1997. The 3rd edition, published in 2016, received 10 national and international book awards. Joseph Jenkins, Inc. publishes the Traditional Roofing Magazine (TradtionalRoofing.com), which focuses primarily on slate roofing. Jenkins speaks on the topic of slate roofs both nationally and internationally, and has provided slate roof consulting services since 1998, his first project being Ford's Theater in Washington D.C., site of the Abraham Lincoln assassination.
Contact Joe Jenkins
Joe Jenkins's book, The Slate Roof Bible, now in its 3rd edition and first published in 1997, sprang from the slate roofing trade he had developed over the years. The 3rd edition won 10 national and international book awards. Available on Amazon. Also available as an E-Book.
Our other websites include our corporate web site (Joseph Jenkins Inc.), our Traditional Roofing Magazine web site, and Slate Roof Central: your source for everything related to slate roofing.
Jenkins maintained a slate roof contracting business in northwestern Pennsylvania from 1980 until 2015. His two sons now carry on the trade: Orion Jenkins (Jenkins Slate Masters), and Brent Ulisky (Ulisky Slate).
Jenkins provides expert testimony in slate roof litigations and has testified in trials throughout the United States and in Canada. The Slate Roof Experts, Joseph Jenkins, Inc., 143 Forest Lane, Grove City, PA 16127 USA; Ph: 814-786-9085; Fax: 814-786-8209; Email
Jenkins founded the Slate Roofing Contractors Association of North America, Inc. (SlateRoofers.org) of which he is currently Executive Director. The SRCA is a member of the International Federation for the RoofingTrades and an Affiliate Member of the National Roofing Contractors Association.
Joe Jenkins continues to provide slate roof consulting services on a limited basis due to a busy schedule. Contact him if you're interested in getting a quote!.
• Case Western Reserve University, Alumni House Project
• Castle Park Apartment Complex, St, Louis, MO
• Cathedral of Saint Andrew, Little Rock, Arkansas
• City of New York, NY, Brooklyn Armory
• City of Oberlin, Ohio, Gasholder Building
• City of Willits, CA, Carnegie Library
• County of Carbon, PA, Courthouse
• County of Henry, Indiana, Courthouse
• County of Venango, PA, Courthouse
• Dakota Building, Manhattan, New York
• Elmhurst Hospital, Illinois
• Ford’s Theater, National Park Service, Washington DC
• Gibraltar Estate, Wilmington, DE
• Glenridge Hall, Atlanta, GA
• Grand Hall at the Priory, Pittsburgh, PA
• Grove City College, Grove City, PA
• Henry County, Indiana, Courthouse
• Holy Cross Church, Lynchburg, VA
• Holy Trinity Church, Poughkeepsie, NY
• Houstonia Estate, Wallingford, PA
• Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Wilson hall
• Longue Vue Museum, New Orleans, LA
• Museum of the City of New York, Fifth Avenue, Manhattan
• Park Lane Villa, Cleveland, Ohio
• Partners Health Care System, Inc., Boston, MA
• Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
• Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA
• Smithsonian Institution Building (“The Castle”), Washington DC
• State Farm Insurance Company, both U.S. and Canada (and other insurance companies)
• St. Bernard Parish, Akron, Ohio
• St. Mary’s Chapel, Baltimore, MD
• St. Rose of LIma Church, Freehold, NJ
• Travelers Insurance Company
• Sullivan West School District, NY
• Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, Staunton, VA
• Winchester Unitarian Society, Boston
• Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT (Squash Building)
• Yale University, Silliman College
• Zimmerman Estate, National Park Service, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
"How to Survey a Slate Roof." Presented at the Roof Consultant's Institute 2013 Conference
“Avalanche! Falling Ice From Steep Roofs is a Preventable Hazard!” RCI Interface (Journal of the Roof Consultants Institute), Vol. XXIX, No. 9, pages 15-23.
“Slate Roofs — Why Learn the Hard Way?” RCI Interface (Journal of the Roof Consultants Institute), Vol. XXVI, No. 9, pages 14-30.
“What the Hail: Hail Damage to Slate Roofs." RCI Interface (Journal of the Roof Consultants Institute), Vol. XXVI, No. 2, pages 26-28.
“What Home Inspectors Need to Know About Slate Roofs.” American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Reporter, Vol. 22, #7, pages 16-27.
“The Peculiarities of Historic Slate Roofs, With Examples of Wrongful Condemnations.” RCI Interface (Journal of the Roof Consultants Institute), Vol XXII, No. 11, pages 6-10.
“How To Preserve a Slate Roof.” Period Homes Magazine, Volume 4, Number 4, pages 78-80, article.
“What Roof Consultants Need to Know About Slate Roofs.” RCI Interface (Journal of the Roof Consultants Institute), Vol. XXI, No. 5, pages 7-14.
“Graduated Slate: Traditional Roofs with Historic Roots.” Traditional Building Magazine, Vol. 15, #4, pages 40 and 42, article.
“What You Need to Know to Keep a Slate Roof Alive for Centuries.” Traditional Building Magazine, Vol. 15, #1.
“Slate = Strong and Steady.” Carolinas Roofing, Vol. 2: 4 page article.
• Slate Roofing Contractors Association of North America — Founder, Executive Director
• Construction Specifications Institute — Professional Member
• National Slate Association — Former Board of Directors (December 2003 - March, 2007)
• Roof Consultants Institute — Member, contributing author, speaker
• National Roofing Contractors Association, Member, speaker, Gold Circle Award Recipient
• Preservation Trades Network — Member, speaker, Askins Award Recipient
• National Slate Technology Center — Faculty (2005-2006)
• National Trust for Historic Preservation — Member
• American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM International) — Participating Member
• American Society of Civil Engineers — Member, speaker
• American Institute of Architects — National Individual Allied Member
Request CV »
A division of Joseph Jenkins Inc., 143 Forest Lane, Grove City, PA 16127 USA. Phone: 814-786-9085 or 814-786-7429. Fax: 814-786-8209. Email: email@example.com.
We're open 9-5 M-F eastern time or by chance or appointment.
View details »
Various awards presented to Joseph Jenkins for publishing, slate roofing, and other endeavors.
Welcome to the Snow Guard Warehouse - largest selection of snowguards on the internet!
We are a source of bulk solder bars, soldering devices, and soldering accessories primarily for construction applications.
Natural quarried slate roofs are arguably the world's finest roofs. Any competent roofer with the basic skills and the correct tools and knowledge can install a roof that his or her grandchildren will enjoy, as adults.
Your source for all things related to slate roofing.